Vision and Mission
Jayhawk Academic Advising aspires to provide high quality support to both the learning efforts and experiences of KU students.
The University of Kansas recognizes that quality academic advising is integral to the academic development and well-being of students and promotes persistence, engagement, and completion of our students. Quality academic advising includes both the prescriptive elements of advising (assisting with course selection, maintaining degree checklists, tracking degree progress and completing degree audits, etc.) and the developmental aspects of advising (major and career decision making, integration in campus and academic cultures, assistance with and referrals surrounding issues affecting a student's academic success, etc.). Jayhawk Academic Advising was formed to ensure all students receive quality academic advising and are empowered to take responsibility for achieving their academic goals.
- We ensure high quality academic advising through:
- Providing accurate and timely resources, materials and information.
- Providing a holistic, seamless student experience from the point of admission through graduation.
- Connecting students to academic advising early in their KU career with a proactive advising approach.
- Increasing student access to personalized support for all students, regardless of major.
- Mentoring students as they explore and clarify their values and their educational, career and life goals.
- Collaborating with students as they make meaning of their experiences, work to actualize their academic interests, and implement their educational plans.
- Providing a team of highly competent academic advisors through:
- Coordinating staffing, onboarding, and training resulting in consistent, efficient practice.
- Incorporating inclusive and socially just practices.
- Providing career ladders, competitive salaries, and increased retention of student success professionals.
Jayhawk Academic Advising is committed to respecting and valuing the diversity of KU students, their perspectives, life experiences, interests, world views and cultures. We seek to foster an environment in which the dignity and unique characteristics of each individual are recognized and respected. To that end, Jayhawk Academic Advising's goal is to help all students realize their academic potential regardless of race, religion, color, sex, disability, national origin, ancestry, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status or parental status.