Peer Advisors serve as members of the Undergraduate Advising Center (UAC) staff and assist students as they experience a variety of transitions including acclimation to academic life, major selection and overall academic success at KU.
During the Academic Year - 10 hours per week
- Assist undergraduate students with current semester issues and enrollment. You'll become an Enroll & Pay expert!
- Staff what we call the PA Cube - which is where you will be working 1 on 1 with students as a drop-in advisor!
- Work closely with UAC professional staff for a true professional experience in academic advising.
- Staff the front desk of the UAC while providing exceptional customer service by taking phone calls, answering the chat, providing scheduling assistance and assisting all guests present in the office.
- Provide program support and outreach for the UAC. This can often include responding to emails sent to email@example.com.
- Help open and close the office depending on shift time.
- Perform other duties as deemed necessary to the success of the office... this job is what you make it! We are always open to hear your ideas.
During the Summer - approximately 30 hours per week
- Participate in the academic advising component of all summer orientation sessions for freshman, transfer and readmitted students.
- Assist KU staff, students, and guests with the advising and enrollment processes.
- Act as a resource and a friendly face for incoming students.
- Assist with preparation of materials for advising and related office duties.
- Staff the front desk of the UAC while providing exceptional customer service by taking phone calls, answering the chat service, scheduling assistance and assisting all guests present in the office.
An orientation day for a Peer Advisor starts in the Kansas Union. It begins with the Transfer Credit Room. This is where you help UAC and Admissions staff get student transfer credit written down correctly. That way they can enroll in the afternoon!
After transfer credit, you can be found helping students and guests find where they go next! You also assist UAC staff in the Advising Help Room. This could be anything from a student changing their major to answering any questions our new Jayhawks might have!
In the afternoon, we are back in the Undergraduate Advising Center. This is where you will be greeting guests and chatting in our lobby or providing enrollment assistance to UAC staff and our new students. It's a fun day!