You've scheduled your appointment! Here are a few things you and your advisor can do to make the most of your appointment and advising experience.
Feel free to print this out below!
Before Your Appointment -
- Write down some of your questions ahead of time. Set some goals for what you hope to accomplish in the appointment.
- Run a Degree Progress Report! These highlight what you have completed, and what's still needed towards your major. GPA's included!
- Exploring majors? Be sure to visit your Exploratory Pathways page and take Hawk Quest offered through the Career Center. Bring your results!
- Check your Academic Notices. These are located in the myKU portal in your My Progress page.
- Login to your student center on Enroll & Pay to see if you have any academic holds. These can also be found in your myKU portal.
- If your appointment is about enrollment, go ahead and explore some classes! It's great to take ownership of your academics.
- If your appointment is about probation or completing a SAP appeal, come with all your documents.
- Check your email! You never know if your advisor will have sent you something to check out before your appointment. You should be checking your KU email several times a day.
- Set an appointment reminder for yourself. We like to use the whole time you've scheduled to meet! If you miss your appointment depending on the time of year you might not be able to reschedule quickly.
- Think about how your current semester is going. How are you grades? Do you enjoy your classes so far? Why? These are likely some things we will chat about!
During Your Appointment -
- Take notes!
- Ask Questions!
- Be honest. We are here to help you navigate KU, your academics, and any challenges and triumphs while you are here. We can only help and celebrate with what we know about!
- Set up a follow-up appointment before you leave. Advisors like to see you more than once a semester. Check-ins are great!
- Make sure you have your advisors contact information before you leave.
After Your Appointment -
- Read the note your advisor left in your myKU portal. Remember, these can be found in your portal under My Progress. After every appointment your advisor leaves detailed notes about resources, classes, and anything you may have chatted about!
- Follow-up on all suggested resources
- Check. Your. Email. Because you should always be doing that right? We often like to send follow-up information straight to your KU email. It's one of the most important ways we communicate with you.
Pro-Tip: Make an "Advising/From my Advisor" folder in your email! That is a good way to stay organized.