What is academic probation?

Academic probation means that your cumulative GPA has fallen below a 2.0. Certain departments and professional schools have different academic standards and probation policies than the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences; so if you have declared your major, you will want to talk with your advisor for specific details regarding your situation.

For more details, read about the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences probation policy.

How do I return to good academic standing?

You will return to good academic standing when your cumulative GPA reaches or exceeds 2.0.  It may take more than one semester for your cumulative GPA to reach 2.0.  To figure out how long it will take you to achieve a 2.0 use our GPA Calculators.  You will need to get a 2.0 semester grade each semester that you are on probation or you will be dismissed from KU.  

How do I get the probation hold removed so I can enroll in classes?

To avoid a probation enrollment hold you will need to have an appointment with your advisor and create an Online Action Plan together. If you do that before the date that is set in your Academic Notice then you will not have a probation hold placed on your account. If you do not complete the Online Action Plan with your advisor by that date then a probation hold will be placed and will not be able to enroll for the future semester until you meet with your advisor and create that plan. Once you complete the Online Action Plan then your hold will be removed 24-48 hours and will then just need to meet with your advisor for a follow up appointment.   

Whom do I talk to about probation?

For assistance with your academic situation, contact your assigned academic advisor. You may find out who your assigned advisor is by logging into your myKU Portal in your myProgress. Make an appointment with an advisor if you have further questions.

JavaScript disabled or chat unavailable.
KU Technology

Click here to learn how to set up all your technology as a new KU student