Become a Peer Advisor!
Thank you so much for your interest in the Peer Advisor (PA) position. As a member of the PA team, you are afforded the opportunity to grow both personally and professionally.
If you are looking to gain...
- Leadership skills
- Opportunity to work in a team environment
- Experience working with new and current undergraduate students, KU faculty and staff
- Communication skills
- Ability to problem solve and multi-task
- Develop yourself as a person, student and professional
…we encourage you to apply!
The Undergraduate Advising Center is dedicated to selecting a group of talented and devoted individuals to assist new students with their academic transition to KU. As a PA, you will play an integral role in guiding new students in the advising process and ultimately their academic transition to the university. You will have the opportunity to work alongside UAC advisors in assisting current students in their academic success at KU, their major exploration process, enrollment for classes and transition to university life.
If a PA sounds like an opportunity you would be interested in, we encourage you to apply. The PA team consists of some of KU's most talented students. It is a great privilege and opportunity to be selected as a Peer Advisor. If you have any questions, please contact us and we look forward to receiving your application!
Brad Whitsell- Assistant Director
The Application Process
- Applications for 2017-2018 staff are now available.Click on the "How to Apply" tab for more information.
- Submit the online HR application and a supplemental application which includes candidate info, essay questions, and academic records release by Monday, February 27, 2017 by 12:00 p.m. All application materials must be submitted by the due date to be considered to move on in your candidacy.
- Decisions to be selected for the group interview will be posted on Thursday, March 2, 2017 by 1:00 p.m. If selected you will receive an email with information on how to sign up for the group interview.
Group Interviews: A 45-minute group interaction and panel interview
- If selected, sign up for a Group Interview by Monday, March 6, 2017, 8:00 a.m.
- Sessions for Group Interviews will run from Monday, March 6, 2017 and Tuesday, March 7, 2017.
- Decisions to be selected for individual interviews will be posted on Friday, March 10, 2017 by 5:00 p.m.
Individual Interview: A 30 minute interview amongst a panel of various staff
- If selected, sign up for Individual Interview by Monday, March 13, 2017, 12:00 p.m.
- Sessions for Individual Interviews will run from Tuesday, March 14, 2017 through Wednesday, March 15, 2017.
- Final decisions and offers will be posted Friday, March 17, 2017 by 5:00 p.m.
Selected 2017-2018 Peer Advisors and Alternates
- Letter of Intent due back to UAC by Friday, March 31, 2017, 5:00 p.m
**All decisions will be posted on our website: http://advising.ku.edu/Selection-Results**
Peer Advisors are asked to be available for the following times throughout the year:
- Training: May 22-June 7. Training will be seven to eight hours each day during these dates with an overnight social justice retreat.
- Summer Orientation: June 13- July 28. Will work anymore from six to eight hours on each orientation day (If taking summer classes we will schedule your work hours around your class schedule).
- Summer Desk Hours: June 12-August 18. Available to work around one 4.5 hour desk shift every other week (If taking summer classes we will schedule your work hours around your class schedule).
- Academic Year Hours: August 21-May 18. Available to work 8-10 hours each week (We will schedule your work hours around your class schedule).
We do allow Peer Advisors to do a Study Abroad experience or have an Internship for a semester during the academic year and still work as a Peer Advisor, however newly hired Peer Advisors cannot Study Abroad or have an Internship during the summer.
The interview process for Peer Advisors will involve two different types of interviews: Group and Individual. These interviews provide candidates with opportunities to be observed in different settings, to demonstrate their various skills and talents, to become better acquainted with the position responsibilities, and to interact with fellow candidates, current Peer Advisors, and KU faculty and staff members. The Group Interview is in front of panel of UAC staff and current peer advisors and you will be in a group of two-four candidates. The Individual Interview will be in front of a panel of UAC staff, current peer advisors and KU faculty and staff. Interview sign-ups are online and you will be emailed information on how to sign up if selected for the next round. Although we do not require a specific type of interview dress attire business casual is recommended.
The Benefits of Becoming a Peer Advisor
Hannah Wilson--Current Peer Advisor