The UAC empowers all students to take ownership of their education by providing personalized, comprehensive academic advising in a supportive environment.


KU offers three basic undergraduate degrees—a Bachelor of Arts (BA), a Bachelor of Science (BS), and a Bachelor of General Studies (BGS). Below are some FAQs about the differences between these three degrees.

What's the difference between a BA, BS, and BGS?

The main difference between these is that the BA degree requires four semesters of a second language. The BS degree tends to be more math and science heavy, and the BGS degree requires a major and a minor. These degrees are not necessarily bound by a major. Just to give an example, you can get a BA in biology or a BS in biology—it just depends if you want more variety and breadth of humanities classes, or more concentration in math and science.

Generally, BA and BGS degrees are not offered in the Professional Schools (like Journalism or Engineering). The College of Liberal Arts & Sciences (CLAS) offers all three degrees. The BGS degree is only offered through the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences, so you couldn’t get a BGS in journalism or engineering, for example.

Check out what degrees are offered for which majors by visiting the catalog

If you have more questions, make an appointment with the Undergraduate Advising Center!

Ask A Peer Advisor!
JavaScript disabled or chat unavailable.
Follow Us!


KU Today